A Library, CD
The mastermind behind Existensminimum is Magnus Henriksson of Sweden. The word Existensminimum, literally subsistence level, is a Swedish social services term for the minimum amount of food or money necessary for a person or family.
But there is nothing minimal about the sound on this EP. Mr. Henriksson wrote and played most instruments on this CD with the help of a few musicians. But when playing live, 10 musicians are required to reproduce the sound.
Every song is so different from the others that I must describe them separately:
1. (5:01) – An uptempo, James Bond-y number in 5/4. It has a square 60’s lounge feel, and the singing is just short of over the top at times.
2. (3:59) – A great song with a driving synth groove and processed vocals.
3. (5:06) – Orchestral opening gives way to electronic drums. Sounds like Air or Zero 7 with much harder drums. Instrumental
4. (1:45) – Acoustic guitar soaking in reverb with vocals that start in falsetto.
5. (3:14) – A U2 parody? This is a big stadium rock-sounding thing featuring synthesizers.