New York Art Quartet – “35TH Reunion ” – [Diw]
Most people are going to hear this, and rightfully
marvel at and be mesmerized by the chants, rants
and powerful presence of Amiri Baraka. A whirlwind
of words, a stream-of-consciousness scream of
conscience. Big themes of art’s place in society,
notions of a creator, Black awareness. But he’s
just the *extra* added to this legendary quartet.
35 years times 4…it’s just not going to fit
here. But it did somehow all fit into June 14,1999.
These are masters at work, play, worship, creation!
Graves percussion rolls, splashes, slithers,
rattles…it’s so alive!!! Tchicai’s sax strong
sour and sweet linking Rudd’s muted tbone wooing
you bluesily. Workman’s rubbery bass looks around
corners, somehow always knows what’s coming. Lot’s
of ESP, extra sonic-sensory perception between all.
So much more than four, this is a force.
you heard it 35 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 661 days ago, Goodwrench played Llanto Del Indio
- 802 days ago, Milo Minderbender played A Meeting of Remarkable ...
- 4311 days ago, Justin Outlier played A Meeting of Remarkable ...
- 4708 days ago, Spliff Skankin played A Meeting of Remarkable ...
- 4708 days ago, Spliff Skankin played Music's Underwear
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File