Pyramids / Horseback [coll] – [Hydra Head Records]
Experimental 2011 stuff from two USA bands that covers both expressive extremes of drone. There’s a dozen different instruments on this; plates getting banged around, various synthesizer, gasps both short and long, all sorts of scrapes, but on the 7″ they all have a purpose in driving or communicating something. The 12″ is then a complete renunciation of all meaning made so much more potent by contrast, and its 40+ minutes will lull you into the most disturbing trance you’ve had in moons.
After listening to and enjoying the 7″ a few times I started to write this review as a journey to an underwater ruin, but having heard the 12″ in its entirety thrice now and all three times having gotten major shakes, screw that. Especially on Side D, which builds/descends into a completely mindblowing plunge, I ENCOURAGE you to slowly scrape together your own personal fantasy kingdom to see and explore and experience the deep, deep horror of its complete obliteration.
you heard it 29 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 155 days ago, Abaza played A Throne Without A King Part 1
- 155 days ago, Dusty Rhodes played A Throne Without A King Part 4
- 389 days ago, Fox Populi played A Throne Without A King Part 3
- 1407 days ago, Lucifer Rosa played A Throne Without A King Part 1
- 2561 days ago, abacus finch played A Throne Without A King Part 4
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File