Moon Duo – “Mazes” – [Sacred Bones Records]
Recorded in their homebase San Francisco and moody krautrock-land Berlin, Moon Duo says Mazes [Sacred Bones Records, 2011] (tentatively titled “Die Blumen”) was going to be their “Berlin record”. Ultimately, however, Mazes retains Moon Duo’s signature psych-rock soundscape, with some nice strumbly pop stirred into the familiar mix of keyboards, electronic distortions, and everlasting two-chord guitar eruptions. No sad emotions here. Just rockin transcendent instrumentation and incantatory vocals. Moon Duo is Erik “Ripley” Johnson (of Wooden Shjips) and Sanae Yamada (his lady).
1. Seer: Upbeat psych-rock.
2. Mazes: Simple pop with a guitar solo tacked on.
3. Scars: German Dub in der haus. Ach ja.
4. Fallout: Radioactive guitar, tambourine, and indistinct vocals. Pop from the nuclear apocalpse.
5. When You Cut: Guitar, drums, clapping, vocals, and a dangerously addictive keyboard line.
6. Run Around: Maracas, guitar, and muttered vocals. Hippie psych! Real cool!
7. In The Sun: Simple psych-pop. Muddy vocals and decent guitar solos.
8. Goners: Longest track. Keeps it simple and delivers some kick ass guitar.
3 4 5 6
you heard it 57 times on kfjc! most recently:
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File