Starr, Thom & The Galaxies – “South Bay Surf Anthology 1963-1964” – [Sundazed Records]
Cousin Mary 2/11/2011 12-inch, A Library
Surf band Thom Starr and the Galaxies formed in 1962 and mostly played around the South Bay, that is, the Pacific coastline between Orange County and Los Angeles. All tracks were previously unreleased and were recorded in 1963 and 1964. Some come from a test pressing of the never released “Sons Of The Beach” album, others from archive tapes from Thom Starr’s estate.
The quality of the sound could be better, but the energy, fine instrumentals, and the catchiness of the tunes comes through. It’s important to surf music history, but also provides lots of great “first wave” tracks to play.
you heard it 45 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 2 days ago, Cousin Mary played Renegade
- 141 days ago, Cousin Mary played Vamonos
- 184 days ago, Cousin Mary played Jellyfish Kiss
- 394 days ago, Cousin Mary played Strange Fever II
- 1200 days ago, Merk played Stomp Crazy
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File