Mushroom – “Naked, Stoned & Stabbed” – [4 Zero Records]
Take a hit of your preferred substance of choice and trip out to Oakland collective Mushroom’s latest blend of spacy psychedelia: Naked, Stoned & Stabbed. This 2010 release was recorded over the course of a weekend and was inspired by a recent gig in which they performed the 1971 Pete Townshend rock opera Lifehouse.
There’s plenty of guitar, flute, and keys (Farfisa organ, Wurlitzer piano, pump organ, mini moog) on here; making for some super groovy retro pieces, but also a heaping dose of pretty, spacy washes of sound. It’s cheerful, with moments of Latin flair, tropical heat, Eastern mystique (electric sitar) and outer space communications.
For the most part it’s instrumental, but the final piece is the Kevin Ayers cover “Singing a Song in the Morning” featuring vocals from Sonya Hunter and Josh Pollack.
you heard it 53 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 34 days ago, Dangerous Dan played All The Guitar Players Around Sean Smith Say...
- 176 days ago, Grawer played All The Guitar Players Around Sean Smith Say...
- 1232 days ago, Carson Street played Tariq Ali
- 2873 days ago, Orpheus played Tariq Ali
- 3093 days ago, Dangerous Dan played All The Guitar Players Around Sean Smith Say...
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File