Mushroom – “Naked, Stoned & Stabbed” – [4 Zero Records]
Take a hit of your preferred substance of choice and trip out to Oakland collective Mushroom’s latest blend of spacy psychedelia: Naked, Stoned & Stabbed. This 2010 release was recorded over the course of a weekend and was inspired by a recent gig in which they performed the 1971 Pete Townshend rock opera Lifehouse.
There’s plenty of guitar, flute, and keys (Farfisa organ, Wurlitzer piano, pump organ, mini moog) on here; making for some super groovy retro pieces, but also a heaping dose of pretty, spacy washes of sound. It’s cheerful, with moments of Latin flair, tropical heat, Eastern mystique (electric sitar) and outer space communications.
For the most part it’s instrumental, but the final piece is the Kevin Ayers cover “Singing a Song in the Morning” featuring vocals from Sonya Hunter and Josh Pollack.
you heard it 51 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 1036 days ago, Carson Street played Tariq Ali
- 2678 days ago, Orpheus played Tariq Ali
- 2898 days ago, Dangerous Dan played All The Guitar Players Around Sean Smith Say...
- 3196 days ago, johnald mcdonald played Take Off Your Face and Recover From That Trip You've Been On
- 3210 days ago, Olmec played Take Off Your Face and Recover From That Trip You've Been On
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File