Orkustra, The – “Adventures In Experimental Electric Orchestra” – [Kemado Records]
Excellent liner notes written by guitarist Bobby BeauSoleil (bo-so-LAY) tell the story of his arrival in the Haight-Ashbury in 1965 and his subsequent formation of an electric chamber orchestra which became a quintet known as the Orkustra. The notes tell of finding a drummer with a jazz background, a violinist and oboist with classical training, and a bassist who liked to play along with records; further recollections entail music stores and experimenting with microphone pickups and the many gigs and venues that they played. Violinist David LaFlamme had saved some tapes, thus this album was made possible. The music is improvised, 60’s psychedelia with occasional hints of Sun Ra and blues. Frequently beautiful, haunting, original.
What happened to BeauSoleil after this group disbanded? He is still serving a life sentence in prison for murder committed in 1969 with Charles Manson.
you heard it 27 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 1060 days ago, Carson Street played Flash Gordon (A Practice Session)
- 1116 days ago, Carson Street played Gypsy Odyssey (Practice Session)
- 1162 days ago, John Goldfarb played Freeform Improvisation (While Watching an Experimental Film)
- 1283 days ago, Mr. Slippy played Gypsy Odyssey (Live St. John's Church Xmas Eve 1966)
- 1735 days ago, Arcanum played Gypsy Odyssey (Live St. John's Church Xmas Eve 1966)
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File