Araya, Felipe – “Punata” – [eh?]
mickeyslim 2/19/2020 A Library, Cassette
Found sound field recordings from Bolivia & Chile. Felipe Araya plays the Peruvian cajón, a wooden hand drum, in a very non-traditional, exploratory fashion.
Side A is field recordings made in Bolivia originally recorded onto mobile phone. Gysin/Burroughs-style cut-ups of sounds at Cochabamba market, at el Ojo del Inca, traditional folk sounds, muddy footsteps, faint voices with occasional sounds from Araya’s cajón.
Side B is a “silent session” recorded at a friends place in Santiago, Chile. Cajón and objects, starts as a minimal, playful exploration that evolves unhurriedly into an excellent crescendo.
Two 26-minute sides of well-done, found-sound, bliss…
you heard it 15 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 1119 days ago, Avakhov played Punata (Bolivia)
- 1132 days ago, Morris Minor played No Punata (Chile)
- 1167 days ago, Kimbrosia played Punata (Bolivia)
- 1171 days ago, Kimbrosia played No Punata (Chile)
- 1174 days ago, Lurker played No Punata (Chile)
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File