Cilia, Martin – “Espresso Martino” – [Bombora Creative]
Devlyn 4/17/2019 A Library, CD
Stripped down, Australian surf. All but one track features a lead guitar, a drum, and a quiet bass. Track 2 “The Rise and Fall of Flingle Bunt” adds an organ to the mix.
The album provides songs of every tempo: “Walking in Sand” is a spooky zombie shuffle. “Telstar” is a cowboy-movie-worthy ditty with horsey trotting drumbeats. “The Worm” is a brisk walk. “Mermaid Beach” features a dreamy melody worthy of luring sailors to their deaths. “Surfability” is all jangly freneticism.
Most of the songs (1,3,5,6,7,9) are originals. Tracks 4 and 8 are reworks of familiar instrumental hits from the early 60s.
What makes this Australian surf rather than American surf? One-a name like “Flingle Bunt” rarely shows up in American surf and Two-the water goes down the drain backwards.
- Return of the Surf Guitar 2:29
- The Rise & Fall of Flingle Bunt (featuring Mental As Anything) 2:38
- Surfabilly 2:32
- Sleep Walk 4:17
- The Worm 3:16
- Walking in Sand 3:43
- Makua Beach 4:10
- Telstar 3:03
- Albatross 3:14
- Mermaid Beach 2:08
you heard it 32 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 472 days ago, Cousin Mary played Albatross 3:14
- 1309 days ago, Jack Tar played Sleep Walk 4:17
- 1451 days ago, Joe Friday played Sleep Walk 4:17
- 1451 days ago, Joe Friday played Makua Beach 4:10
- 1452 days ago, dr doug played Makua Beach 4:10
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File