Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings – “What If We All Stopped Paying Taxes?” – [Daptone Records] — 45 rpm
Ms. Jones is not happy with the foreign and domestic policies of the current administration. So she rounded up the Dap Kings, house band for the Daptone label, and put her feelings into what she describes as an “anthem of discontent.”
The first song asks the musical question “What If We All Stopped Paying Taxes?” It’s the sort of blistering retro-soul that we’ve come to expect from Ms. Jones & co. Sharon’s pissed, and as the song goes on you can feel the band absorbing her anger and reflecting it back to us as heat. Bush and Iraq aren’t mentioned explicitly, so this song will work just as well for the next country we invade.
The B side is a slow but impossibly funky version of the public domain song “This Land Is Your Land.” Woodie Guthrie is dancing in his grave somewhere. The song is great from the horn section’s sour Yankee Doodle opening to the fade out, but the highlight for me is the way the trumpet solo enters.
If you can listen to either song without shaking your ass you are probably Ralph Nader.
you heard it 40 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 119 days ago, Mickey Slim played This Land Is Your Land
- 285 days ago, Ras Babo played What If We All Stopped Paying Taxes
- 1513 days ago, mouthbreather played What If We All Stopped Paying Taxes
- 2137 days ago, Ms. Tiza played What If We All Stopped Paying Taxes
- 2631 days ago, Cadillac Margarita played What If We All Stopped Paying Taxes
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File