Indian Sonic Omnibus [coll] – [Majmua Music]
Sonic snapshots from Majmua/Fire Museum curator Steven Tobin
and his kundalini concubine cohort Leah Fenimore. Pristine in
spirit, if not audio fidelity. Look out for the horns blaring
off the street. It’s as if we are a blind third person joining
the tour for bits and stretches. Hard for me not to find the
“Varanasi Boat Ride on the Ganges” anything short of remarkable
but don’t look for it on a Starbuck’s compilation. Other
recordings have the raw recording like a long echoey cafeteria
or some bizarre bazaar (see track #25 “Hassan Bazaar”). That’s
a short blast, as is #5 for you birdbrains! Questing for the
Qawwali-style, check out #11. Also parades and marching band
practices and even some sweet sax galloping (“Sravanbelagola
Jain Temple Group”). “Mysore Hotel Mandolin & Tabla Duo”, you
can check out…but you can never leave. It has an entrancing
entrance…”would you like some wine” gets voiced over!
Some of the weirder ears are going to wish there were dance
mixes to elongate some of the audio verite voyeuristics.
Dig the sarode less travelled!
PS KFJC listeners and DJs might like to check out the blog
behind the travels.
you heard it 26 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 1251 days ago, Morris Minor played Joydev Mela Blind Baul Lead Group
- 1336 days ago, Phil Phactor played Varanasi Storefront Alap
- 1452 days ago, Hemroid the Leader played Sravanbelagola Jain Temple Song
- 1452 days ago, Hemroid the Leader played Varanasi Storefront Alap
- 1515 days ago, Hemroid the Leader played Sravanbelagola Jain Temple Song
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File