Chacon, Raven – “Beesh Naalnishi ” – [Dineyazhe]
Look this youngster up and see what others have found to say about him (member of the Navajo Nation), his projects (Kleptones?), and his pedigree (Tenney, Subotnick, Mosko?); his own information, including this disc, is cryptic if not cryptographic (symbols? white-out? hand-written?).
This is woodwind-driven chamber noise, extra heavy on the flutes. Most of all, this is all very stop-and-go. Instruments play, pause, play, pause in varying degrees of purposefulness. One aleatorish extreme is on track 2, the other mechanical extreme is on track 5, which is like someone turning the volume dial rapidly on and off on a Charlemagne Palestine-like string quartet drone. Except I think it???s conducted/performed that way, not dialed.
This is a unique vision indeed, and I’m still rassling with myself as to whether I enjoy it. Certainly it’s deserving of our library. Those seeking to clear out the room of normal life should turn to track 5.
1. Solo alto. Possible flute doubling
2. Solo flute with supporting players
3. Cymbals and tamtams showpiece. No voices actually, as indicated by the title.
4. The whole chamber ensemble stops and gos.
5. Nails on a chalkboard.
6. The flute???s back! Multiple false endings.
7. Longer chamber group, with a little more direction.
-Cujo, KFJC, June 2007
you heard it 23 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 72 days ago, abacus finch played ...Lahgo Ddil'i Dine Doo Yeehosinilgii Yidaahgi
- 1140 days ago, Billie Joe Tolliver played ...Lahgo Ddil'i Dine Doo Yeehosinilgii Yidaahgi
- 1143 days ago, Muad dib played Ella Llora
- 1149 days ago, Roland Blunt played ...Lahgo Ddil'i Dine Doo Yeehosinilgii Yidaahgi
- 1168 days ago, Arcanum played Bilagaana Adin/Dead White Men
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File