Ware, David S. Quartet – “Renunciation ” – [Aum Fidelity]
Striking a balance between melodious bop-blues and cacophonous avant-garde (akin to Pharoah Sanders), hard blowing tenor-man Ware is accompanied by his stellar quartet, who at times subtley outshine him, especially the sublime Matthew Shipp on piano. Excellent, also, are longtime quartet member William Parker on contrabass and relative quartet newcomer Guillermo E. Brown on drums. A live recording from 2006, the album is dedicated to jazz greats recently departed from this mortal coil: Alice Coltrane, Dewey Redman, Michael Brecker and (R&B saxophonist) Larry Curtis Potts. Ware enigmatically espouses his Hindu beliefs in the liner notes, no doubt, to the confusion of many.
1. ???Introduction??? (1:51)
2. ???Ganesh Sound??? (8:32) – Nice appetizer.
3. ???Renunciation Suite I??? (18:49) – Main course.
4. ???Renunciation Suite II??? (6:44) ??? ???
5. ???Renunciation Suite III??? (7:21) ??? ???
6. ???Mikuro???s Blues??? (9:15) – Scrumptious dessert.
7. ???Ganesh Sound (reprise)??? (6:40)
8. ???Saturnian??? (3:43)
The rest are garnish.
you heard it 16 times on kfjc! most recently:
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File