Mean Mothers: Independent Women Blues, Vol. 1 [coll] – [Rosetta Records]
mickeyslim 9/24/2014 Blues, CD
Ladies being ladies, and they ain’t taking shit from no one! Volume One in a collection of independent women’s blues music from 1926-1949, and it bakes. Tunes that assert females are just as strong as their male counterparts, if not stronger.
Since I have a not-so-secret soft spot for ladies blues music, I tend to agree. This album does a great job at exemplifying one of the many themes in blues, and one of the few that is strictly for women, especially at that time: personal independence and not putting up with peoples disrespect.
Maggie Jones, Ida Cox, Rosa Henderson, Billie Holiday, etc. Beautiful voices from beautiful ladies. Rosetta Records release with great liner notes.
3WR: Big Mama’s Blues
you heard it 39 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 243 days ago, Jack Tar played I Don't Dig You Jack
- 393 days ago, Max Level played Keep Your Nose Out of Mama's Business
- 502 days ago, Jersey Girl played Baby Get Lost
- 586 days ago, Lucky Jae played Keep Your Nose Out of Mama's Business
- 1112 days ago, Mickey Slim played Long Tall Mama
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File