Usui, H. – “Sings The Blues” – [VHF Records]
mickeyslim 7/23/2014 12-inch, A Library
Hiroyuki Usui sings the blues! Usui (Ghost, Fushitsusha, etc..) lends vocals to most of the tracks (all in Japanese?), and accompanies himself on bajo, guitar, steel guitar, bass, and cornet. From what I can tell, this is his first available solo work.
While this isn’t exactly blues music, it definitely has a blues theme. Very spacious sounds with minimal instrumentation, and yet Usui still evokes hypnotic rhythms. The sounds are very clear and each note has intent. Dark, woodsy, morose. Some Delta-ish slide guitar works it way in there.
The first two and second to last track utilize silence to create a feeling of coldness and solitude. The gaps are just uncomfortably too long. Very well done. Dig it!
you heard it 21 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 2326 days ago, mouthbreather played The Westernized Blues
- 2848 days ago, Mouthbreather played World
- 3186 days ago, Mickey Slim played a Fake2 Blues
- 3186 days ago, Edison Einstein played This World
- 3187 days ago, abacus finch played This World
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File