Micheline, Jack – “In Amsterdam” – [Unrequited Records]
mickeyslim 12/4/2013 A Library, CD
Bronx-born, Beat-era, Bay Area bred Jack Micheline in a live reading from Amsterdam’s Ins and Outs Press in 1982. Brought there by Soyo Benn Posset for the ’82 One World Poetry Festival, Posset decided to have him stay the the Press, so he gave a live reading.
Poems, songs, stories, chants, scats, and songs. Mostly upbeat, playful, fun tracks until “O Harlem,” the gem of the album. This poem evoked so much emotion I had shed a few tears through the end. The “Imaginary Convo. w/ Kerouac” is essentially Micheline trying to understand Kerouac’s gibberish. The songs on here are sung with no musical accompaniment, but again, are still pretty fun to listen to. One of the more unknown “outlaw” poets, this guy is the real deal.
you heard it 40 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 2235 days ago, mouthbreather played Tigers In The Sky
- 2420 days ago, Honey Bear played Poet On The Streets
- 3015 days ago, Honey Bear played Some Lines On Kerouac
- 3018 days ago, Selector played Love Poem On a Spring Afternoon
- 3025 days ago, Mickey Slim played Some Lines On Kerouac
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File