Minderbinder – “No One Is Trying to Kill You, Sweetheart” – [Edgetone Records]
Nice project that works best as a percussion duo, when
Kyle Adam Blair gets into the steely coiled heart of
his piano, for prepared/damaged excursions. The lead
off 9 minutes had a sort of quick chaos that reminded
me of Conlon Nancarrow, fast finger flurries but it all
gets dark and ominous at 9 minutes in. That’s when Blair
first slips into the “wrong” side of the keys; we hear
sinister scrapes, broken toy tinkering, coffin taps,
and those great metallic zwings like on #2 in the middle.
Proper(?) percussionist Chris Golinski recently was on
KFJC’s airwaves with a trio and “Gnash”. He reminds me
of a Tony Buck meets William Winant hybrid. Busy, not
cluttered, kind of a syncopated automated pachinko,
with quick and dry hits. Check his opening of #3, and
Blair makes solid use of the deep end of his piano
as well, which also is a pleasure in the Necks vein.
Bandname and album/song titles come from Catch-22. No
futile bureacracy here…just extended improvisation
that can tunnel between jazz sets and Death Waltz
you heard it 12 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 2473 days ago, Honey Bear played Now Eat Your Dessert...
- 2479 days ago, DJ Click played No One Is Trying to Kill You, Sweetheart.
- 2493 days ago, SAL 9000 played No One Is Trying to Kill You, Sweetheart.
- 2499 days ago, Nile Simms played No One Is Trying to Kill You, Sweetheart.
- 2499 days ago, Thurston Hunger played Now Eat Your Dessert...
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File