Seeiso No. 16 Tsoana Mantata – “Selemela” – [Bellstar Music]
humana 8/21/2013 CD, International
It took a lot of digging to find that the musician featured here is Mokete Chakela of Lesotho, Southern Africa. I have no idea what the songs are about, but they are jolly sounding and at times reminiscent of Cajun music, but that is due to the ever-present accordion, which, along with a drum, occasional bass, and constant singing, constitutes the famo genre of music.
Track 14 is the only one including female vocals. Chakela likes to make political statements, so perhaps that is what these tunes are about. My son told me he will never hear an accordion again without thinking of listening to this CD.
you heard it 15 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 1555 days ago, Sally Goodin played Taba Tsa Lerato
- 3511 days ago, Edison Einstein played Selemela
- 3517 days ago, Sir Cumference played Rato La Lona
- 3524 days ago, Edison Einstein played Siba Lo Noko (Lesholu)
- 3529 days ago, Edison Einstein played Masta (Lesholu)
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File