Lewis, George New Orleans Jazz – “Hello Central ” – [Delmark]
David Richoux 1/15/2005 CD, Jazz
Don’t confuse this George Lewis with the jazz trombone player.
This one was a New Orleans clarinetist who took the original jazz style (less solo, more ensemble) out to the world. Playing to what were called “Moldy Figs” or trad revivalists (mostly white) -G.L. sparked a great deal of interest in this New Orleans style. He played an Albert System clarinet, so the tuning can sometimes sound a bit off, but folks really liked it. This recording was done in 1953 (a peak year for the revival) San Francisco with a great touring band. Some vocals – great music… *review by David Richoux
you heard it 11 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 1523 days ago, Cousin Mary played Just a Closer Walk with Thee
- 7471 days ago, kj Dweller played Mama Don't Allow
- 7999 days ago, Dave Richoux played Lord, Lord, You Been Good...
- 8013 days ago, Dave Richoux played Dallas Blues
- 8016 days ago, Rocky Rococo played Doctor Jazz
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File