Khan, Nusrat Fateh Ali/Party – “Body and Soul ” – [Real World Records Ltd.]
Khan was a brilliant Pakistani vocalist in the Qawwali tradition, fusing the style’s traditional lyrics with new melodies and rhythms. Despite the sadness and longing in the lyrics, the sound of this ensemble is uplifting and seemingly joyous. Tabla, handclaps, and harmonium set the mood while a chorus of male voices (his party) toss the vocals around. The master’s sandpaper voice dazzles with its rapid-fire percussive technique, and then, oh man, it just takes off and soars in high arcs. Sometimes does both of those at the same time. Gives me goosebumps. His death a few years ago was a great loss, but thanks to this posthumous series on Real World, we’re still getting new music from him. An incredibly beautiful CD by a great artist.
you heard it 21 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 110 days ago, Cousin Mary played Mayey Nee Main Dhak Farid Dey Jana
- 1844 days ago, Hemroid the Leader played Mayey Nee Main Dhak...
- 6860 days ago, Max Level played Barsoon Kay Intizar Ka
- 7181 days ago, kj Dweller played Tasbeh Dei Ik Ik Dhaneh
- 7285 days ago, Frieda Leave played Barsoon Kay Intizar Ka
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File