Birdtree, the – “Orchards and Caravans ” – [Last Visible Dog Records]
Intriguing solo project by Glenn Donaldson of San Francisco’s Jewelled Antler Collective, combining acoustic folk music with strange and beautiful sounds too active to be called “ambient”. Donaldson sings and plays 99% of the instruments, largely via cassette overdubs, creating that classic recorded-in-the-bedroom sound. We hear guitar, banjo, bouzouki, keyboards, percussion, accordion, harmonium, toys, nature recordings, and heaven only knows what all else. He does a nice job with the folky guitar/vocal parts, but for me it’s the addition of all those surprisingly musical “non-music” sections that give this project its elegance. Good stuff. Donaldson also did the fantastic artwork; too bad this isn’t 12″ vinyl in a double gatefold cover.
you heard it 35 times on kfjc! most recently:
- 506 days ago, Max Level played Raven Returns/The Uppermost Forest
- 2595 days ago, Jewelled Antler Collective played Raven Returns/ the Upper...
- 2622 days ago, abacus finch played Scorpions and Lions
- 2725 days ago, Curtis Kimby played Everyone of Us a New Leaf
- 3009 days ago, johnald mcdonald played Pillar of Clouds
12345 S. El Monte Road Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Public Inspection File